True facts on the death of three-year-old child Kumari Bharati, In Kalaburgi GIMS Hospital

This news about death of a three year old girl in police lock up of Jewargi taluk Kalaburgi district Karnataka state has been covered widely by news papers and electronic media. Allegations of Police assault on the child also have been made in certain quarters. The death also lead to flash protest by the villagers which was resolved later after intervention of senior Police officers. However the true facts of the event as verified from local authorities is;

There was Gram Panchayat Election on 27-12-2020 in Jainapur village of Jewargi Taluk in Kalaburgi District.  Raju Talwar and Santosh Talwar both belonging to the same village, contested the election results of which were announced on 30-12-2020 and Raju Talwar declared elected.

        After election results , the defeated candidate Santosh Talwar along with 21 members including women went to their opponents house and picked up quarrel. This led to physical violence in which 10 members sustained serious injuries and admitted to hospital.  In this connection, a case got registered in Jewargi Police station.

 The police took up investigation and found that

  • Total 10 people got injured in the incident.
  • Three-persons had grievous injuries of which one person underwent brain surgery and his condition critical and unconscious.

Based on the statements of injured and eyewitnesses, police arrested 10 accused persons including three women and they were sent to judicial custody to Central prison Kalburgi immediately. Two of the women accused had their small children and upon their insistence the prison authorities allowed the children to accompany their mothers.

On the morning of 01-01-2021, one of the child was found to be sick and on recommendation of prison doctor was referred to GIMS hospital Kalaburagi. There it was found that the child was suffering from Hydrocephalous desease and had already undergone surgery before. The child died on 02-01-2021 while under treatment at the hospital.

Later a UDR case was registered to know the cause of death of the child at Farhatabad police station Kalaburgi. An inquest was conducted by the judicial magistrate and post mortem by the forensic medicine doctor.

The Forensic Medicine expert gave a provisional post mortem report saying that the cause of death is due to “MENINGITIS AND HYDROCEPHALOUS with VP SHUNT IN SITU” and body did not have any injuries except one old surgical wound.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.